We are a Dutch-French-German* couple who have decided to explore the world and live life to the fullest. We want to be free to travel and experience different cultures, meet people of all walks of life, and learn more languages.
Every morning, we start with a yoga session (Christophe is a yoga teacher) and a meditation. We love to work out (running, hiking, horse riding, climbing, biking, swimming, inline skating) and we love to live a healthy (almost) vegan life.
We both love animals, but traveling doesn’t go well with having pets of our own, though we do still have an older horse that lives a happy life at a superb boarding place for the elderly. Taking care of your pets allows us to have pets around without owning them, which at this stage in our lives is perfect.
* Christophe was born in France, spent his childhood partly in France, partly in Spain, but spent most of his adult life in Germany. He is fluent in French, Spanish and German, and also speaks English. Karen was born in France but spent most of her life in the Netherlands, and moved to Germany in 2013. She is fluent in Dutch and English, also speaks French and German, and is learning Spanish.
Why we want to house sit
House sitting permits us to travel, see the world and enjoy the lifestyle we prefer. The world is such a magnificent place and we love to explore it. We don’t like staying in hotels and camping full time isn’t ideal either, so house sitting is the perfect alternative. Having a place to call home, even if it is only on a temporary basis. It permits us to change scenery on a regular basis, which we love.
Having been house owners of several different houses, we know what is involved in taking care of a house. We are fit and healthy, and capable of small maintenance chores, if necessary. We have both owned and maintained gardens. Karen even had a successful vegetable garden for a couple of years, and also has experience taking care of grazing land, having owned horses for many years.
Christophe has owned a total of 20 huskies, which he bred and entered into sled driving contests. He has always had dogs, of different breeds and sizes. Karen has owned several horses and is a qualified hoof care professional.
We have both owned cats and a variety of small animals like hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs and ducks. We are experienced in the caring and training of animals, which we take very seriously, and love to do so.
2018 pet- and house sits
- 10 – 17 February: 1 dog in London (UK)
- 6 – 10 June: Durfort-Lacapelette (France). Visit to become future house sitters, including 2 dogs, several cats and chickens and 7 horses.
- 10 – 27 June: 1 cat in Redon (France)
- 28 June – 5 July: 3 dogs, 2 cats, 4 chickens and a rooster in Blars (France)
- 12 – 31 July: 3 dogs, 3 cats and 2 donkeys in Chaillac (France)
- 15 August – 1 September: 2 dogs, 1 cat, 2 guinea pigs, several chickens and 7 horses (including a one month old filly) in Lubersac (France)
- 20 September – 7 November: 1 dog and 2 cats in Tostat (France)
- 1 December – 28 February 2019: 1 dog, 1 cat and 1 horse in Puget-Ville (Provence, France)
- 24 March – 25 May: Volunteering via workaway.info at Finca Rienda Suelta (Andalusia, Spain) to help on the 90 ha of land and with the 16 horses
- 1 – 8 June: 2 dogs, Tenerife (Spain)
- 14 – 17 June: 2 dogs, Tenerife (Spain)
- 4 – 10 September: 2 dogs, Tenerife (Spain)
- 18 October – 8 November: 1 cat, 4 hens, 1 horse, 2 dogs, Puget-Ville (France)